Ramon M. Lopez is the Secretary of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). His extensive government experience with the Presidential Management Staff (PMS), DTI, and the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) in the early part of his career provided him with a solid background on macroeconomic and industry policy and program development that allowed him to adopt a more holistic trade approach when he moved to the private sector and became a top executive of a major Philippine food and beverage company for over 23 years. He led the entrepreneur advocacy Go Negosyo for 12 years until he was called to serve the country again under President Rodrigo Roa Duterte’s administration as the DTI Secretary. He chairs several institutions under DTI such as the Board of Investments (BOI), the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOPHL), the Small Business Corporation (SB Corp.), the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA), and several councils for MSME Development, Export Development, and Price Coordination. He also chaired the ASEAN Economic Ministers when the Philippines assumed Chairmanship in 2017, and is a founding member of the World Economic Forum-ASEAN Regional Strategy Group and Stewardship Board for International Trade and Investment System. He has received several awards such as: the Honorary Agora in Nation Building Award; the Nation Builders Award for Government Service for his role as prime mover in Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprise (MSME) development; and the Philippine Innovation Man of the Year Award in 2017 for the promotion of social entrepreneurship through innovation. He earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Economics from the University of the Philippines and topped his Master’s Degree in Development Economics at Williams College, Massachusetts.
The authority and responsibility for the exercise of the DTI mandate is vested in the Secretary who, like his predecessors, is a Presidential appointee who serves office at the pleasure of the President.
The Secretary, as the DTI Department head, has the authority and responsibility for the discharge of DTI powers and functions.
Specifically, his functions are:
- To advise the President of the Philippines on matters related to trade and investments, and industry, and on the promulgation of Department orders, rules and regulations, and other issuances related to trade, industry, and investments
- To establish policies and standards for the effective, efficient, and economical operations of the Department in accordance with government programs
- To supervise and control all offices, functions, and activities of the Department
- To delegate authority for the performance of any administrative or substantive function to any Undersecretary or other officials of rank at the Department
- To ensure the clear delineation of the functions of personnel and constituent units of the Department, including its attached agencies to prevent task duplication or overlapping
Adrian S. Cristobal Jr, December 2015 - June 2016
Jesli A. Lapus, March - June 2010