AWEN is a network of women entrepreneurs in the region that advocates the creation of a favorable environment for female-led- enterprises to thrive. It aims to support women entrepreneurship in the region by providing a venue for the exchange of knowledge and experience; by developing initiatives to promote economic and trade activities aimed to enhance gender equality; and by strengthening the entrepreneurship skills for women in ASEAN Community. AWEN also serves as an instrument in promoting the inclusion of women’s agenda in the business discussions towards inclusive development.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2017
- Assisted on the logistical and substantive preparations for the Stakeholders Consultative Workshop on 9 & 10 March 2017 which was preparatory event for the forthcoming ASEAN Women Business Conference in August-September, chargeable against the Department of Trade and Industry- Gender and Development (DTI-GAD) budget.
- Assisted in the conduct of the “S.T.E.A.M. Ahead in ASEAN: A Forum for Women in Technology” by providing Secretariat support during the AWEN meeting on 21 February and the event proper on 16-17 March at the Microtel by Wyndham – Mall of Asia. Also drafted the memo request to DTI Public Relations Unit to invite DTI beat reporters to cover the AWEN Meeting and the Forum.
- Attended the meeting with the Australian Embassy’s representatives on 10 April 2017 to discuss the preparations for the PH-Australia Joint Forum in commemoration of ASEAN’s 50th Founding Anniversary on 29 August 2017. Coordinated with the relevant stakeholders thereafter to provide updates following the conversation and agreements with the Australian representatives.
- Prepared the inputs to the matrix on Philippine priority deliverables specifically on Women and Entrepreneurship as requested by the DTI-Bureau of International Trade Relations (BITR) ASEAN Desk for the 12th CAEC Meeting which was submitted on 15 May 2017.
- Prepared the Discussion Paper on ASEAN Women’s Business Conference for circulation to the Senior Economic Officials and PowerPoint Presentation for presentation at ASEAN Senior Economic Officials Meeting (SEOM) 3/48 in Cebu City, Philippines.
- Attended the SEOM 3/48 held on 3-4 July 2017 in Cebu City, Philippines as part of the Philippine delegation. Closely coordinated with the ASEAN NOC and DTI-BITR ASEAN Desk for the participation of DTI-RGMS. In relation to this, prepared the Discussion Paper and PowerPoint Presentation on ASEAN Women’s Business Conference which was presented at the meeting.
- Attended the ASEAN MSME Summit which was held on 14 July 2017 at the Philippine International Convention Center.
- Undertook research on women leaders in Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos and came up with three names as possible reactors to the study/ies to be presented in the morning program of the ASEAN Women Entrepreneurs’ Network (AWEN) Business Conference on 31 August 2017 at the PICC. Also prepared the Manila Statement on Mainstreaming Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) in ASEAN which was circulated to the Steering Committee, ACW, ACCMSME, and AWEN. Dialogue partners were tapped to give inputs to the Manila statement. The revised statement was finally submitted to the SEOM.
- Provided technical support to the conduct of the ASEAN Women’s Business Conference (AWBC) on 31 August 2017 at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. The conference put forward the women agenda in the business and economic landscape in ASEAN. It gathered ASEAN women business leaders, government representatives, officials from ASEAN dialogue partners and representatives from supporting international organizations. The AWBC with the theme, “ASEAN Women: Leading Change,” highlighted three sub-themes: Women Innovators in ASEAN, Women in Trade and Inclusive Business, and Women and Human Capital Development. Also finalized the Conference Report thereafter and shared with all relevant stakeholders.
- Attended the DTI Committee on Business and Investment Promotion’s debriefing session that discussed the successes and learnings from the recently held ASEAN Women Business Conference and related meetings in August 2017 at the PICC to further improve efforts in the remaining ASEAN meetings in October and November.
- Prepared inputs and ensured that women will be further mainstreamed in the regional economic activities of ASEAN through the adoption of the Action Agenda on Mainstreaming Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) in ASEAN by the ASEAN Leaders during the 31st ASEAN Summit on 13 November 2017. This outcome document is part of the Manila Statement on Mainstreaming WEE in ASEAN adopted by the ASEAN Women’s Economic Network (AWEN) in August 2017. Both documents were also acknowledged and supported by the ASEAN Economic and Foreign Ministers.