Funded by the Government of Japan through its Non-Project Grant Aid Counter Value Fund (NPGA-CVF), PCPS aims to enhance the IT skills of Filipino youth as the country’s future knowledge workers. PCPS4 (2009-2012) is the fourth phase of the project, with an allotted budget of PhP 490 million.
The components of PCPS are: establishment of computer laboratories in public high schools, teacher training, and implementation of computer education curriculum in the project’s recipient schools.
DTI handles this project together with Department of Education (DepEd) and Department of Finance (DOF).
DTI, as the proponent agency, is in-charge of project management and coordination at the national, regional, and provincial levels. It is also in-charge of the procurement and distribution of the computer packages.
From 2001 to 2014, the PCPS project (Phases 1 to 4) distributed a total of 61,554 desktop computers to 5,028 public high schools nationwide. This translates to a reduction of computer backlog in the public high schools from 76% in 2003 to 4% in 2014. More than 52,000 teachers from the recipient schools were also trained on basic computer operation and troubleshooting and integration of IT in the basic education curriculum.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2018
- Conducted market survey to determine the Approved Budget Cost (ABC) for the procurement of logistics provider for the delivery and installation of computers to be purchased from the Department of Budget and Management (DBM)-Procurement Service.
- Conducted meeting with the DBM Procurement Service on 07 August 2018 to finalize the requirements and processes for the purchase of 3,800 computer desktops.
- Prepared revised list of recipients from 190 to 380 schools and prepared the Purchase Requests for the following:
- Computer Desktops through DBM-PS
- Additional Office Productivity (1,900) through DBM -PS
- Courier Service for the delivery of computer packages to recipient schools in Visayas and Mindanao through DTI BAC
- Other peripherals such as Anti-Virus, 3 in 1 printer and UPS through DTI BAC.
- Conducted the PCPS5 Orientation for Region 8 recipient schools on 13 September 2018. The activity was designed to orient the recipient schools about the PCPS5 project and the delivery procedures including the forms and counterpart requirements.
- Conducted meeting with Premier Logistics, the courier service provider for PCPS5, on the tagging and schedule of delivery of computer packages to recipient schools in Visayas and Mindanao.
- Conducted PCPS5 orientation on the delivery, inspection, and turnover procedures of computer packages to recipient schools in Regions 6, 7, 9, 11, and 12.
- Conducted PCPS5 orientation on delivery and acceptance procedures to recipient schools in Regions 10 and CARAGA
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2017
- Conducted a Roundtable Discussion Meeting with former Personal Computers for Public Schools (PCPS) Technical Working Group (TWG) members i.e. Department of Education (DepEd), Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), Department of Science and Technology – Advance Science and Technology Institute (DOST ASTI), Department of Science and Technology-Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI), and Department of Trade and Industry- Information Systems Management Service (DTI ISMS)— on 28 July 2017 to discuss the proposed impact assessment of the PCPS project and gather inputs on how to go Sabout it.
- Coordinated and participated in the key informant interviews with the Department of Labor and Employment-Bureau of Local Employment (DOLE BLE), Department of Education (DepEd), Department of Trade and Industry – Competitiveness Bureau (DTI CB), Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), Commission on Higher Education (CHED), Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) and IT and Business Process Association of the Philippines (IBPAP).
- Coordinated and assisted the facilitation of the PCPS Impact Assessment focus group (FGD) with the school beneficiaries of: Region 4A on 7-8 Sep 2017 at Manila; Region 11 on 12-13 October at Davao; and, NCR on 20 October at Makati city—all of which involved public school principals and ICT coordinators. Also documented the sessions.
- Requested information/data from BOI regarding the IT sector for inclusion in the PCPS Impact Assessment documentation.
- Presented the results of the PCPS Impact Assessment to project stakeholders including DepEd, DOST, DOLE, TESDA, and IBPAP.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2016
- Prepared and submitted the PCPS4 Terminal Report to DOF, DepEd, and Embassy of Japan.
- Prepared and endorsed to DOF the proposal for PCPS Phase 5 which aims to cover public high schools in Visayas (Regions 6 to 8) and Mindanao (Regions 9 to 13 and ARMM), particularly schools that are newly established and/or heavily damaged by natural calamities (.e.g. earthquake and typhoons) in the past three (3) years