In support of the government’s thrust to achieve inclusive growth, DTI formulated the Department’s PWD Economic Empowerment Program to help facilitate integration of PWDs into the mainstream of society. The program provides the following interventions: (i) enterprise level assistance, (ii) enabling environment, and (iii) policy advocacy.
2018 INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES CELEBRATION
The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is celebrated every 3rd of December across the globe. This year’s theme is “Empowering persons with Disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” which is aligned with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development “where no one is left behind.”
In support of the international theme, the Philippines has adopted as sub-theme “Trabaho, Negosyo at Kabuhayan Para Taong Maykapansanan” (Job, Enterprise and Livelihood for Persons with Disabilities).
In December 3, the Department of Trade and Industry, together with the New Vois Association of the Philippines, Inc. led the observance of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities with the able support from the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) and more than 100 guests from PWD organizations, various Persons with Disability Affairs Offices (PDAOs), and other government agencies at the La Breza Ballroom, La Breza Hotel, Mother Ignacia, Quezon City.
Brother and sister team of Mr. Einstein and Ms Aika Rojas, representing New Vois Association of the Phils. Inc, acted as Masters of Ceremony.
Ms. Carmen R. Zubiaga, Officer in Charge of NCDA, welcomed everyone to the event. She thanked DTI for leading the celebration of the said event, and informed the audience that DTI has done a lot in terms of inclusion of PWDs in economic activities. DTI’s Negosyo Center Business Counselors were trained to assist PWDs which is very reassuring for any PWD client who would like to avail of their services/programs. Further, DTI is the first agency to come up with the Disability Inclusive Governance Manual which ensures full participation and equalization of rights and opportunities for PWDs. She also urged PWDs to form and grow self-help groups to be economically independent. Other agencies like TESDA and DOLE provide assistance through job fairs for PWDs such as the one to be held this week in Quezon City wherein 1,000 jobs are in the offing.
NCDA officer-in-charge, Ms. Carmen Zubiaga delivering the welcome remarks for the event.
DTI Assistant Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo delivered the inspirational message during the event. She underscored the capability, resilience and the potential contribution of Persons with Disabilities to the economy. She also shared that DTI continues to advocate the creation of an enabling environment that provides opportunities for the entrepreneurial development of PWDs to have productive and better lives and become mentors to others.
|DTI Assistant Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo delivering the inspirational message for the event|
She mentioned the programs and services that DTI offers like 7 Ms – mindset change, mastery, mentoring, money, machine, market access, and models of negosyo.
Right after, the entrepreneurship seminar was handled by Ms. Elizabeth Manuel, former Acting Deputy Director of the Philippine Trade Training Center and President of the Rotary Club of Meycauayan Uptown. She introduced and involved everyone to the “Best Game cum Entrepreneurship Challenge” for them to experience what it is like to be involved in a business - whether as a producer or retailer.
|Assistant Secretary Ameenah Fajardo and Mr. Sean Ignacio manning the product clinic booth|
Meanwhile, DTI put up the Negosyo Center booth manned by DTI-NCRO Misses Dahlia Nuñez and Nerissa Sulib, and Mr. Sean Ignacio of the Office of Assistant Secretary Demphna Du-Naga handled product clinic booth.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2017
- Drafted a working paper on PWD status, laws and regulations passed in support of PWD development, DTI accomplishments and challenges and recommendations to improve responsiveness of the programs to the needs of PWDs which can serve as basis for a PWD Summit or Convention that will result to a Pledge of Commitment among DTI and cooperating partner agency and/or private sector.
- Coordinated with the DTI-Knowledge Management and Information Service (KMIS) on the status of making the DTI website accessible to PWDs, and accomplished the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) template to reflect the update which formed part of the submission to the Office of DTI PWD Focal Person Regional Operations Group (ROG) Undersecretary Maglaya and her alternate, ROG Assistant Secretary Fajardo
- Represented the DTI on 13 February 2017 at the NCDA Boardroom during the 2nd National Working Committee Meeting on the preparations for the 2017 Women with Disabilities Day Celebration scheduled on 28 March at the Philippine Arena.
- Represented the DTI in the 1st National Working Committee Meeting that approved the final theme of the National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week Celebration which was held in July 2017. Also identified the 2017 chair/host and lined up all succeeding meeting dates and venues. Lastly, prepared highlights particularly the NCDA comments regarding immediate or full implementation of certain laws like RA No. 10905 which calls for all television networks to have closed captioning to enable the PWDs particularly the deaf to have access to news and other information that will improve their welfare.
- Coordinated with NCDA on the list of some national agencies’ PWD focal persons as well as the heads of national PWD organizations in relation to the drafting of invitation letters on the Department’s hosting of the Consultative Meeting of DTI Officials with other National Government Agencies and PWD Organizations held on 03 August 2017.
- Represented the DTI in the NDPR-National Working Committee Meetings on the preparations for the NDPR Week Celebration; prepared highlights of the meeting including the request of NCDA for DTI to provide assistance to PWD entrepreneurs (who will participate in the PWD Bazaar at QC Hall) in product labeling and packaging; and requested for the inclusion in the Calendar of Activities of NDPR Week Celebration the General Assembly of DTI PWD Focal Persons as a pre-event activity.
- Undertook research on the access to transportation by PWDs and prepared comments/inputs to the draft Executive Order on Accessible Public Transportation for PWDs for endorsement by the DTI Alternate PWD Focal Person to the Bureau of Trade and Industrial Policy Research for official communication to the Office of the President
- Prepared memo seeking approval of the DTI PWD Focal Person to have small window for PWDs in the Livelihood Seeding and the Shared Service Facility Programs of the Department as these can provide concrete assistance to the sector in terms of livelihood opportunities
- Hosted the start of the 39th NDPR Week Celebration on 17 July 2017 by reciting the Panata ng Isang Tagapagtaguyod ng Karapatan at Prebelihiyo ng May Kapansanan at the flag raising ceremony at the DTI Head Office attended by some of the ExCom members.
- Updated the DTI PWD Economic Empowerment (PWDEE) Framework and added global and national statistics on PWDs to provide factual information about the sector; this document was presented during the General Assembly of information of the PWD Focal Persons.
- Conducted the General Assembly for DTI PWD Focal Persons on 13 July 2017. A total of fifty-two (52) PWD Focal persons from DTI Bureaus, Regional and Provincial, and attached agencies participated.
- Coordinated with the Office of the DTI Alternate PWD Focal Person Assistant Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo to enjoin the Human Resource and Administrative Service (HRAS) to send a representative to the CBM International’s South East Asia Regional Office’s Employers’ Forum 19 October 2017 at the Sequoia Hotel, Quezon City. This is in relation to the employment of Persons with Disability, since the said unit handles the hiring of personnel within the Department. Also attended the forum and submitted memo and highlights of event to Asst. Secretary Ameenah A. Fajardo.
- Attended the Knowledge Sharing Forum on Disability Development Programs conducted jointly by the Korean International Cooperation Agency-Philippine Office, and the Philippine–Korean Fellows Association and the NCDA on 27 October 2017, at the Discovery Suites Manila, ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig City; and prepared the highlights of event.
- Represented the DTI in the Joint Seminar on Mid-Decade Review of the Asia and the Pacific’s Decade of Make the Right Real which was conducted by NCDA and the Rehabilitation International (RI) Korea on 03 November 2017 at the NCDA Boardroom, Holy Spirit Drive, Quezon City.
- Represented the DTI in the 1st National Working Committee Meeting in preparation for the 2017 International Day of Persons with Disabilities Celebration in the 1st week of December.
- Coordinated with the Consumer Protection and Advocacy Bureau (CPAB) and KMIS regarding appropriate advice and opinion on the possibility of having braille labels on some goods/products for visually impaired customers and how it may relate to RA 7394 or the Consumer Act.
- Represented the DTI PWD Focal Person, Undersecretary Zenaida C. Maglaya, in the NCDA Board meeting on 12 December at 10 am, at the Alcuaz Function Room, Manila Pavilion, Manila. Raised concerns on the RA 10524 (1% of government positions reserved for PWDs), and the portion of EO 417 on 10% procurement to be sourced from PWD suppliers, both of which the Chair had asked the Board Secretariat to include in the next meeting of the Board; Finally prepared the highlights and the endorsement memo on 13-14 December.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2016:
- Collated and submitted the 2015 DTI PWD accomplishments to COA and NCDA
- Prepared and submitted the 2016 DTI Plans and Programs to NCDA for endorsement to the Sub-Committee on Training, Employment, and Livelihood.
- Prepared comments/inputs on:
- Draft IRR of RA 10754 or “An Act Expanding the Benefits and Privileges of Persons with Disability”
- Senate House Bill No. 205 entitled “An Act Providing for the Alternative Learning System of Education for Adults, Out of School Youth, Members of Cultural Minorities, Indigenous People, and Persons with Disabilities”.
- Participated in the various inter-agency PWD-related activities/workshops/fora, as follows:
- Women with Disability Day Celebration at the Occupational Health and Safety Center held last 30 March 2016
- 38th National Disaster Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week Celebration held from 17-23 July 2016
- Program Assessment and Planning Workshop on Disability Inclusive Programs/Services for PWDs held last 16 – 18 March 2016 in Angeles City, Pampanga
- Enhancement of Communication Plan following the Incheon Strategy Framework for Persons with Disabilities
- Special Inter-Agency Meeting on Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act No. 10754 or “An Act Expanding the Benefits and Privileges of Persons with Disability”
- Launching of Apolinario Mabini Awards at the Bulwagang Amoranto, Quezon City Hall
- Inter-Agency Committee preparatory meeting for the 27th White Cane Safety Day Celebration
- Public Hearings on the Draft Joint DTI-DA-DOE Administrative Order for Senior Citizens and Persons with Disability
- Mid-Term Assessment on Incheon Strategy Implementation and the Status of the National Plan of Action on Effective Data Generation
- NCDA Sub-Committee on Advocacy
- Conducted Orientation Workshop on Disability Sensitivity for Negosyo Center Business Counselors
- Batch 1 – DTI and LGU representatives from Northern Luzon in Clark, Pampanga on 19-21 July 2016
- Batch 2 – DTI and LGU representatives from NCR and Southern Luzon in Pasay City on 09-11 August 2016
- Batch 3 – DTI and LGU representatives from Mindanao in Davao City on 16-18 August 2016
- Batch 4 – DTI and LGU representatives from Visayas in Pasay City on 06-07 September 2016
- Conducted Orientation on Disability Sensitivity for PWD Focal Persons in DTI bureaus and regional and provincial offices
- Continuing advocacy for the welfare of PWDs:
- Implementation of various laws to ensure the protection of PWDs’ civil and political rights based on DTI’s mandate i.e. Republic Act No. 10524 “An Act Expanding the Positions Reserved for PWDs”, Batas Pambansa Blg. 344 “Accessibility Law”, Executive Order No. 417 “Directing the Implementation of the Economic Independence Program for PWDs”
- PWD accessibility of the DTI website
- Inclusion of “provision/granting of special discounts to PWDs” in the guidelines on the DTI Bagwis Program